- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 300g vine ripened cherry tomatoes, halved
- A few parsley stalks
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 x 150g tuna steaks
- Black olives (optional)
- A few basil leaves, to garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
TIP: Try not to overcook the tuna, they are like steaks and should still be pink in the middle for flavour and melt in the mouth tenderness.
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan and sauté the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until starting to soften. Add the tomatoes and parsley stalks, plus about 150ml water and then sherry vinegar. Simmer gently for 10 minutes until the tomatoes have completely softened.
2. Put a frying pan or griddle over a medium heat until hot. Brush the tuna with olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning and then pan-fry for 2-3 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking.
3. Stir the olives into the sauce and whip out and discard the parsley stalks. Season to taste. Divide the tuna among four plates and spoon over the sauce. Garnish with basil.
4. Serve immediately with new potatoes and steamed green beans.