I was thinking about this last night while tucking into my salmon salad. If someone asked me what would be my top 5 tips on how to succeed with losing weight on this plan, what would my answers be? Well, here they are!
- Drink plenty of water – I cannot stress this enough. I fell into the trap of omitting my water for coffee last week, and believe me I suffered for it. Ok, so you are going to visit the loo a lot more than usual, but you will feel so much better for it. I drink at least 2 litres of water a day, and not only does it make you feel better, it also makes you feel fuller.
- Plan your meals – If you don’t then it is so so easy to fall into the trap of grabbing food on the go or ordering a takeaway. I’ve done it more times than I can remember, and I always feel physically and emotionally rotten when I’ve eaten it. Planning your meals means you don’t have to think about it; just get in from work, throw your meal together and enjoy. I hate cooking, and I use every excuse possible to avoid it, but it's a choice I have to make – cook and lose weight or get a takeaway and feel miserable.
- If you mess up, move on and keep going – We all mess up, we are only human, but don’t think that it's the end of the world and go off on a food binge because you feel like you’ve ruined it. You haven’t ruined anything, you’ve just had a slip up. When I have these moments, and believe me I do, I just accept that I’ve done it, there is nothing I can do to change it, and I move on with the plan as normal. Stressing out about it will only make you feel like a failure and you will feel like giving up. DO NOT GIVE UP! You are not a failure, you just need to refocus and persevere. You can do it!
- Ask for help – If you are struggling, ask your coach for help, don’t be a lone ranger. I used to feel very differently about losing weight, and I never wanted to ask people for help, this was down to me to do so why should I talk to someone else about it? But now I know what the benefits of talking to others are, and believe me I can easily see how I have failed miserably before when trying to do it all on my own. Ideal Weight coaches are not only extremely knowledgeable but they are also lovely, so if you feel like things are going wrong, they should be your first port of call. My coach is my rock, and just a quick 5-minute chat with her makes me feel so much more positive.
- .Focus on your goals – Some of us have rock solid goals that we want to achieve from our weight loss, others just want to feel more comfortable or just to be healthier. We all have goals, and sometimes it gets really hard to focus on them when all you want to do is dive in to a tub of ice-cream, but that is why setting your goals and focusing on them is so important. My immediate goal is to fit into the dress I bought two sizes too small for my cousins wedding, and although recently I’ve been feeling that this is not going to happen, I’ve refocused and now I’m determined to get into that dress in time. We all have wobbles and slips now and then, but focusing on your goal really does boost your determination and drive to succeed.
I hope these top tips have helped you in some way, I know they have certainly helped me get back on track on more than one occasion